Dreamweaver CS6 Won’t Add Link Tag to Selected Text in Code View

Standard

I seem to be encountering more bugs in the latest version of Adobe Dreamweaver (CS6) along with OS X Lion…

One of the oddities I’ve been dealing with is a problem in Dreamweaver. It seems to happen after editing several pages in one session. During this work session I was in Code View a lot (and it may even be happening in Design View).

I’d add a string of text, or select an existing string, and then click in the link text box of the Properties pane. I’ll type the URL but when I click out of the box it doesn’t apply the link.

At this point I can repeat this step as many times as I want but it simply won’t work.

The “fix” is to restart Dreamweaver. After a while it just seems to have a problem keeping up with adding links.

Note that I have the latest updates installed that were available at the time of writing this post.

Error Installing Lion (OS X 10.7): “the installation information is damaged or incomplete”

Standard

The Short Version: I needed to re-install OS X Lion on a system after formatting the standard partition. The install process required downloading the software from Apple first but it was blocked by network authentication. Requesting a temporary lifting of network restrictions for this system provided me with enough time to complete the download.

I needed to format a MacBook Pro that came with OS X Lion (10.7). My assumption was that the process would work the same as with disc-based installs.

The usual saying about assumptions applies.

The system didn’t have any problems at the beginning. I formatted the primary partition by booting to the recovery partition. Then, I let it begin the installation process by downloading the latest version of 10.7. I thought everything was working fine.

However, after I returned I discovered that the download had failed.

Continue reading

Improving Battery Life With A New MacBook Pro (15″, MacBookPro8,2)

Standard

The Short Version: Using gfxCardStatus to manage the graphics mode made a notable difference. Uninstalling McAfee Security made the most difference.

This week I started using a new 15″ MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,2) with OS X 10.7 (Lion). It wasn’t long before I noticed a dramatic difference between the battery life of the new MacBook Pro and that of my previous 17″ MacBook Pro, which was about two years old.

In the System Preferences I had noticed that I couldn’t configure the system to only use the integrated, low-power graphics card. Rather, I had to choose to enable “Automatic graphics switching” (in “Energy Saver”) or disable it. If it’s disabled then the computer automatically uses the high-performance, battery-draining graphics card.

Last night I began to suspect that the system wasn’t properly switching to the low-powered card. It turns out that I was almost correct.

Continue reading