This particular solution isn’t one that I discovered, though unfortunately in the course of seeking a solution I neglected to bookmark the post in which I read it.
There can be many causes for an automatic repair loop, so this solution may not fix the problem for everyone.
While working on a laptop for some friends I encountered a problem after applying some Windows updates. On restart the system went into a repair loop, which resulted in an inability to restart into Windows.
Fortunately, the ASUS box also has wireless so I was able to shift all of the network services over to the wifi adapter. I had to re-establish the built-in VPN server, among other annoyances. Since the ethernet port was no longer usable I decided to disable it in Windows 7.
I noticed the service was no longer working and wouldn’t start. When I viewed mControl’s log I saw the following message every time I attempted to start it:
The Installation Code of the license file does not match with Code 2. Please contact your System Administrator.
mServer License Code=Hacked/Hacker, Ver=.
My version isn’t hacked. I paid the commercial price (less because it was an upgrade from a previous version that I had also paid for). At first I thought that perhaps the license information was damaged but then I remembered that I had disabled the ethernet port and I noticed that there were some entries in the log during the activation check that hinted toward a check of the network device.
I re-enabled the built-in ethernet port. Sure enough, the software passed the activation check and started up. It seems to use a hardware identifier that’s part of the network card for activation.
The Short Version: Using gfxCardStatus to manage the graphics mode made a notable difference. Uninstalling McAfee Security made the most difference.
This week I started using a new 15″ MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,2) with OS X 10.7 (Lion). It wasn’t long before I noticed a dramatic difference between the battery life of the new MacBook Pro and that of my previous 17″ MacBook Pro, which was about two years old.
In the System Preferences I had noticed that I couldn’t configure the system to only use the integrated, low-power graphics card. Rather, I had to choose to enable “Automatic graphics switching” (in “Energy Saver”) or disable it. If it’s disabled then the computer automatically uses the high-performance, battery-draining graphics card.
Last night I began to suspect that the system wasn’t properly switching to the low-powered card. It turns out that I was almost correct.
My wife’s driver side window recently stopped working properly. Since it happened we determined that the window track was bent when a gust of wind caught the door and forced it open too far. Not long after this she rolled down her window and then discovered that it wouldn’t roll back up.
I was able to get the window back up but I needed to find a way to prevent it from being rolled down accidentally, until we could fix the problem. One solution would be to just unplug the controls, but that would have disconnected the lock and passenger side window controls as well.
I found a relatively simple way to do this. Essentially, I popped the controls out of the door and disabled the driver’s side window by placing electrical tape over the contacts.
Here’s a side-view of the controls removed from the door. I used a small flat-tip screwdriver to push up on the black plastic to get the white tabs out.
The last photo shows where I covered the contacts with electrical tape. This prevented the buttons from working.
I was having frequent time-out issues, especially when trying to upload to third-party hosts. Finally, I may have found a tip that appears to have significantly improved FTP performance and reduced upload times. Simply disabling design notes has made a quantifiable difference. I don’t use Dreamweaver features that require the notes so disabling them wasn’t an issue.
Though the tip was for Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 and earlier it worked in the CS5 version that I’m using.
Sometimes having the Upload Design Notes option checked in the site definition can cause problems. Uncheck this option and see if the problem persists: Site > Manage Sites, select your site, then click Edit > Advanced tab > Design Notes category > uncheck “Upload Design Notes for sharing”.