I’ve been sleeping with a CPAP device for several years and during the entire time I’ve always used a full-face mask. It’s worked alright but I still have several bad nights every now and then along with several moderate sleep nights. I know what it’s like to have great sleep so I’ve been aware for a while that perhaps it was time to try something new.
Last week I ordered a Pad A Cheek Mask Liner to use with my ResMed Mirage Quattro mask. It’s a fabric liner for CPAP masks that’s made by a third-party. Ideally, it will reduce leaks around a mask seal while also increasing comfort. At $15 it’s a reasonable price. Unlike the RemZZZs mask liners, which are intended to only be used for one night, this liner is much more durable and can even be washed by hand.
The new liner was waiting for me when I returned from a work trip. This morning I unpacked the liner and gave it a try.
Unfortunately, it’s not going to work for me. Despite reading forum posts in which some users with facial hair reported that it improved their seals, I found that it did the opposite. In fact, as soon as I turned on my CPAP I immediately noticed bad leaks around my beard. These leaks were worse than using the mask without the liner.
For individuals without facial hair this seal may indeed reduce leaks and improve comfort. I may suggest this type of liner to my wife for use with her ResMed Quattro FX mask. She’s been satisfied with the RemZZZs liners but the Pad A Cheek may prove more comfortable and much more durable.
So far the most effective method I’ve found for establishing a better seal around my beard is to use Lansinoh HPA Brand Lanolin on the silicone mask seal.
Updated 11/11/2011: I also purchased one for my wife, which is made for a Resmed Quatrro FX. She’s had a chance to use it a few nights and so far she loves it. For her it’s much more comfortable than the RemZZZs, which moved around too much. I checked her machine stats. The leak rate was higher than I’ve seen for her, but her AHI was still very good and she said that she slept fine and didn’t notice any leaks.
I was having frequent time-out issues, especially when trying to upload to third-party hosts. Finally, I may have found a tip that appears to have significantly improved FTP performance and reduced upload times. Simply disabling design notes has made a quantifiable difference. I don’t use Dreamweaver features that require the notes so disabling them wasn’t an issue.
Though the tip was for Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 and earlier it worked in the CS5 version that I’m using.
Sometimes having the Upload Design Notes option checked in the site definition can cause problems. Uncheck this option and see if the problem persists: Site > Manage Sites, select your site, then click Edit > Advanced tab > Design Notes category > uncheck “Upload Design Notes for sharing”.