In the past, when I moved blogs to different platforms, I lost blog photos because I didn’t make an effort to back them up or transfer them. Today, I decided to establish a process for grabbing all of the images that I use in this blog, just in case I ever need to have a copy.
I frequently backup the blog itself as an XML file using the built-in export tool. However, this only backs up the written content and architecture – it doesn’t backup the media files.
There are several different programs that could be used and probably various methods as well. In my case, I’m using a WordPress.com blog with a custom domain. In addition, the backup process is done using a Mac.
To scrape the blog content I chose to use SiteSucker, which is a donationware software program for OS X. To reduce the data that is backed up down to a minimal set that includes the images, I changed some of the default settings.