Previous Posts Status Updates


I recently added some status updates to older posts. In most cases this simply means that I added a comment regarding whether or not a specific device or method is still working since the original post was published.


Blogging Hiatus


I’ve been on a bit of a blogging hiatus for nearly a year. The first half of the break was the result of other responsibilities and, quite simply, not feeling too eager to spend a lot of time on a laptop after work. The other half was the result of, well, a new addition to our family, which I hinted at in my last post. We had our first child last summer, which kept me preoccupied before and after he was born.

So, what follows is an attempt to add some new posts. I can’t guarantee that I’ll go back to my previous frequency of posts. In fact, that seems highly unlikely, especially since my buying power for gadgets has been, uh, significantly altered. But over the past several months I have accumulated a few things that I wanted to get around to mentioning at some point.

Press Any Key – Recently Updated and Top 10 Most Visited Posts (Quarter)


Recently Updated Posts

Top 10 Most Visited Posts (Quarter)

This Blog has Moved (Again)


Ever since I moved to a WordPress blog under GoDaddy hosting I’ve had numerous problems with poor performance. I suspect this has much to do with the shared resources used for that hosting account and several posts on the Web appear to support this belief. Regardless, I decided to do something about it that would actually make a difference. I had already tried running a cache plugin and database optimizer (for several months) and didn’t see an improvement. Updating the blog and looking for errors sometimes took a very long time – I often had to wait several seconds just for a page to load or update.

I considered upgrading to a Virtual Private Server but the extra cost just wasn’t acceptable, especially considering I would have done it only to get this blog running properly. The base VPS hosting would have cost about $30/month and I would have added a Plesk console, which would have bumped it up to $35/month.

After mulling over my options for about an hour I decided to go with an alternative. Since most of my activity with this domain is just infrequent blogging I decided to sign up for a account and pay extra to use my own subdomain and not have any ads. The total cost was somewhere around $50 for the year – far less than moving to a VPS would have cost.

It’s only been a day since I moved to this blog but I’m already much happier. The blog has operated smoothly. There are a few other restrictions (I can’t use plugins that aren’t already available to this account, only certain themes are available, and CSS editing is an additional charge). However, those restrictions are not major issues for me.

I’ve cleaned up bad links that were a result of the move. The old blog is still active. I’ve setup a few redirects but I’m planning to put more in place for other posts that receive visits. Eventually, I’ll delete the old blog.

Old Post Markup Corrections (Part 2)


As of today I’ve cleaned up posts through August 2007. I’ve had to delete a few because parts of those articles were not exported (and thus missing). I’m also having to remove references and links to photos that were originally in a different gallery that no longer exists. I’ve had more progress cleaning old posts in the past 24 hours than I have over the past year or two.

Old Post Markup Corrections


I’ve spent part of this morning cleaning up old posts that were imported from a different blog platform with some issues. These posts were imported a long time ago and I’ve never really spent much time trying to clean them up. Basically, the markup is showing directly within the posts. So far I have corrected posts from December 2005 through September 2006.